Organic Wheat sales

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Jackie Jackie 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jackie
    Jackie
    Keymaster
    We are thinking about selling some of our certified organic wheat as a retail product this fall.  We would like to bag the wheat berries or grind the wheat berries and sell the flour.  What local/state license do we need to obtain to do this?  I am currently working on the organic certification to be a handler as well as a producer.
    #708 Reply
    Jackie
    Jackie
    Keymaster

The wheat berries themselves could be non-potentially hazardous, depending on the method of thrashing (are these just shaken out of the stalks, beaten out, etc.) and are not usually consumed raw. Flour could be licensed as a retail operation. More details would be helpful—i.e. processing methods, where do you plan to market the items, do you have organic certification from the Department of Agriculture, or other certifying agent?

Flour would probably be considered a food manufacture (onsite retail only). For two (2) or fewer employees the license fee would be $85.00. If you just bag the wheat, we’re looking at a one-time $40.00 cottage food license, but could also be a Farmer’s Market product requiring NO license at all. Need more information, but whatever you decide, the product label is essential and has certain requirements I’ll send you when your ready.

In your service,

Richard Menger, MS, REHS
    [email protected]
    Date: February 21, 2018
    [email protected]

Fallon County

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Organic Wheat sales
Your information: